As exclusively reported in today’s KM Gazette (11th April 2019) the leader of Canterbury City Council, Councillor Simon Cook has vowed that no stone is left unturned to bring Canterbury City Football Club home. The full joint press release between the football club and Cllr Cook is set out below. Encouraged by the strongest vocal political commitment to the football club in many years and in a spirit of compromise the football club has decided not to field independent candidates in May’s local election. We would however ask you to question your local candidates on what they intend to do if elected to see the football club return home to the city after a 20 year absence.
Full Press Release
The chairman of Canterbury City FC and the Leader of Canterbury City Council have vowed to talk tactics and work together to bring the football club back home.
The club played at the Kingsmead Stadium in the city until 1999. Since the club reformed more than a decade ago, players and supporters have had an itinerant existence - playing home games at locations including Ashford, Herne Bay, Deal and, most recently, Salters Lane in Faversham.
Now, following a number of attempts to find a new home, Cllr Cook has vowed to sit down with football club chiefs within a month of the council elections on May 2 to create a plan of action for Canterbury City FC’s return.
Cllr Cook said: “I completely understand the frustration felt by those who do so much for the club and their loyal supporters who want to see the club return to Canterbury. It is due to their tireless work that the club has continued to develop while having to play at various locations away from the city.
“Identifying a piece of land large enough to be used for a community football hub has always been the challenge, and takes time but I believe it is only right no stone is left unturned as we begin to revisit the local plan.
“I am confident we can find a solution, by working together in partnership and focusing on the same goal, that will allow the football club to continue to build on their sterling progress, back in the city they belong in.”
Mr Clark said: “It is encouraging for everyone at the football club to know that we are once again back on the local agenda so far as our elected representatives are concerned and that there does now seem to be a genuine desire to resolve this long standing injustice. I have not seen this level of vocal support for the club for many years and as a start it is to be commended. We now need to see those words turned into action!
We have just narrowly missed out on seeing the city of Canterbury represented at Wembley and that achievement was even more remarkable given the football clubs nomadic existence since reforming 12 years ago. There is a real appetite for a return of senior football to Canterbury and I look forward to working constructively with our local councillors and other interested third parties to finally make that a reality for the wider benefit of our local community”.
11th April 2019