Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Canterbury City FC app


1st Team - Match centre

Canterbury City
Mon 22 Apr 15:00 - Southern Counties East Football League - Premier Division Full time Attendance 92

Back-To-Back Wins for City at Lordswood


Another three points for City as season starts to wind down.

Canterbury City 2 Lordswood 1

Back-to-back league victories for City as the run-in to the end of the season continues. They took the lead but were quickly pegged back before they were gifted a match winning penalty - all in the first-half.

A lively opening saw Fjord Rogers head over the bar for the hosts while Euan Sahadow shot straight at City keeper Jack Delo. At the other end Dean Grant hit a rather optimistic effort from fully thirty-five yards but it curled well wide before Adam Woollcott saw his shot charged down before the ball flew back out to Kyron Lightfoot whose first-time volley needed Lordswood keeper Dan Smith to use both hands to push the ball over the bar.

An early Lordswood attacking free-kick and a couple of corners failed to trouble the City defence before Adam Hooper played a short free-kick to Frankie Griffin - his strike deflecting off James Nurden's back for another home corner which was well punched clear by Delo.

City were getting forward too and James Turner cut inside from the right only to see his low strike stopped by Hooper as he came sliding in to block, while a second phase play from a City corner saw Phil Starkey swipe the ball low into the home box where Grant dummied over it but there was no other City player in the area to take advantage. A decent Renford Tenyue cross also disappointingly suffered the same fate before on thirty minutes City took the lead. A move down the right saw Grant play the ball down the line to Turner who got to the by-line and pulled it back for Danny Lawrence to slot home from close range for 1-0 - a goal easy in it's creation and execution.

City didn't have long to enjoy their lead though as just a couple of minutes later, another simply created goal drew Lordswood level. A long throw from the left was flicked on and Joe Kane rose to head home at the far post for 1-1.

There wasn't too else much going on in the game worthy of reporting until City were then gifted the lead in the forty-second minute. With everyone expecting a direct strike on goal despite the distance, a forty yard free-kick in the inside left channel was cleverly played low and forward by Woollcott and latched onto by Turner. He took ball into the box but to be frank was going nowhere with it and almost at the dead ball line when a clumsy defender needlessly shoved him over for a clear and undisputed penalty. Lightfoot stepped up and crashed it past Smith, sending the keeper the wrong way for 2-1.

In first-half added time Lordswood could have got back on level terms when Jordan Wells broke through and chipped the ball over Delo as he charged out to block but also lifted the ball over the bar as well. A last kick of the half corner from the right by Hooper was well taken by Delo under pressure at the far post before the whistle then blew for the break with City a goal in front.

Actual second-half highlights were few. Grant fired over from wide left when he pounced onto a quick City throw, a Woollcott free-kick was played into the home box and took several City touches but no-one could create a clear opening and a Turner shot took a slight deflection off a defender and just flew the wrong side of the post from City's point of view. The resultant corner almost produced a chance when the ball came out to Ryan Cooper and he lofted it high from whence it came and the ball rebounded off the crossbar on the way back down before being cleared.

The last quarter of the game was littered with free-kicks and stoppages as the referee showed several yellow cards - mainly for petty offences and City made all three changes and sought to slow the game down. Lordswood brought on former City player Josh Froggatt and he saw a shot charged down and then broke at speed but despite several twists and turns, he was brilliantly marshalled by Gary Sayer who got a block in to concede a corner from which Kane headed wide.

In the last ten minutes a City free-kick and corner could only produce a shot charged down from Rob Lawrence, while the hosts failed to prise City apart with a succession of potential opportunities by way of corners, free-kicks and long throws as it took them a while to realise time was running out and some urgency might be required.

With a couple of minutes to go, Tenyue burst forward from deep in his own half and exchanged passes with Owen Fitt before seeing his firm shot take a deflection and fly past the far post angle while in stoppage time, Froggatt fired straight at Delo and Rob Lawrence was put though by Liam Jones but saw his shot blocked by Kane.

City finished the game on the attack as the final whistle blew and a fairly low-key end of season game ended with the spoils going to the visitors.

Final score: Canterbury City 2 Lordswood 1

City: Jack, Delo, Ryan Cooper, James Nurden, Adam Woollcott (Rob Lawrence), Gary Sayer, Phil Starkey, Kyron Lightfoot, Danny Lawrence, Dean Grant (Liam Jones), James Turner (Owen Fitt), Renford Tenyue.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Chatham Town
Beckenham Town
AFC Croydon Athletic
Cray Valley PM
Deal Town
Sheppey United
Erith Town
Tunbridge Wells
Punjab United
Hollands & Blair


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
8. Lordswood 38 58
9. Glebe 38 56
10. Canterbury City 38 55
11. Deal Town 38 55
12. K Sports 38 49
13. Crowborough Athletic 38 48
14. Bearsted 38 47

Team sponsors


Club sponsors